The Loon Nest Trail (1½ miles)
The Loon Nest Trail allows visitors to experience the natural beauty of upland forests, marshes, clear streams and close to a mile of pristine shoreline. Follow Halfway Brook through mixed woodlands toward the lakeshore. Squeeze between giant granite “glacial erratic” boulders, sit and enjoy Lake Winnipesaukee from several vantage points, and skirt the edge of a thriving marsh before returning to The Loon Center. Or, walk to the views and back for a shorter trip. Sturdy footwear is recommended for those who want to walk the entire trail. Wildlife viewing opportunities abound on both trails – you may even catch a glimpse of our resident pair of loons!
The Forest Walk (¼ mile)
The Forest Walk is a short, easy loop through mixed woods. Enjoy edge and interior forest habitats, the warblers and wildflowers of spring, the cool shade in summer, the colors of fall, and woodland tracks on winter’s snows.
From Route 25:
- Heading east on Route 25 at Moultonborough, turn right onto Blake Road at Moultonborough Central School (look for The Loon Center sign).
- Heading west on Route 25 at Moultonborough, turn left onto Blake Road at Moultonborough Central School (look for The Loon Center sign).
- Go one mile to the end and turn right onto Lee’s Mill Road. The Loon Center and Wildlife Sanctuary are on the left, at 183 Lee’s Mill Road.
From Route 109:
- Heading north on Route 109, turn left on Lee Road, just past Bucky’s Restaurant and Tavern.
- Heading south on Route 109, turn right on Lee Road, just before Bucky’s Restaurant and Tavern.
- Go .7 miles and turn left onto Lee’s Mill Road (look for the Loon Center sign). Go .9 miles. The Loon Center and Wildlife Sanctuary are on the left, at 183 Lee’s Mill Road.