Loon Preservation Committee Job Description
TITLE: Director of Development and Membership
LOCATION: Moultonborough, NH
REPORTS TO: Senior Biologist/Executive Director
STATUS: Full time, exempt, salaried position
SALARY: Competitive, commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus benefits
SUMMARY: In partnership with the Senior Biologist/Executive Director and the Development and Stewardship Committee, the Director of Development and Membership will spearhead development efforts as the Loon Preservation Committee (LPC) continues to grow. Building on 46 years of success, the Director of Development and Membership will lead efforts to engage LPC’s donor and member community. The Director of Development and Membership will develop, lead, and help implement organizational strategies in all aspects of fundraising, including membership by individuals and businesses, annual fund donations, special events, legacy giving, and capital needs.
Coming off a successful capital campaign, which exceeded its initial goal of $1.5 million by 40%, the organization is seeking a leader to take development and membership to the next level. We are determined to build on the strong relations we have with our 2,500 donors and members, execute a focused expanded major gifts program, and implement a planned giving and endowment initiative. The Loon Preservation Committee has achieved distinction and results since our founding, more than tripling New Hampshire’s threatened loon population despite its increasing challenges. We are committed to building an already-successful development and membership program into an engine that will drive our mission for decades to come.
- Work with the Senior Biologist/Executive Director to develop and execute the Loon Preservation Committee’s annual fundraising plan.
- Work with the Senior Biologist/Executive Director to develop and maintain ever-stronger relationships with current and potential donors.
- Engage Trustees and other volunteers, where appropriate and helpful, in the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and members.
- Lead the implementation of LPC’s expanded major gifts program and beginnings of the planned giving program.
- Oversee prompt and accurate acknowledgement and recording of all membership and development gifts and refine LPC’s systems to provide superb donor and member stewardship.
- Develop and help execute successful special donor events.
- Work with the Senior Biologist/Executive Director and other staff to develop and track proposals and reports for foundation and corporate grants.
- Supervise and support the Membership and Development Assistant.
- Other related duties as directed by the Senior Biologist/Executive Director.
The successful candidate needs to be driven, outgoing, engaging, forward-thinking, and attentive to both details and larger strategy. This position will benefit from an individual who works collaboratively with colleagues and board members and who is positive when dealing both with the public and with staff and board. The Director of Development and Membership will need to embrace the many successes of LPC’s existing development and stewardship program, while effectively promoting the development of new levels of connection to donors and members and, consequently, greater annual and legacy giving. The ideal candidate will bring experience, energy, positivity, and humor to the position.
The successful candidate needs to be an excellent communicator and a team player: ours is a small office where the willingness to pitch in at a moment’s notice is valued deeply. Familiarity with membership database software is required, and familiarity with DonorPerfect is an asset. We are seeking an individual who can share and promote a deep commitment to our mission.
This individual must be able to drive, climb stairs, and lift moderately heavy items. This is a salaried, exempt position and it is understood that some evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be necessary.
TO APPLY: Please send resume and cover letter to Harry Vogel, care of email@example.com.